Best insurance for immunity from drinking

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober
Dallas
Site Admin

Best insurance for immunity from drinking

Post by Dallas » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:32 am

PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! ~page 89, Alcoholics Anonymous.

When a newcomer first arrives in a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous, they are encouraged to attend many A.A. meetings. But, all too often, they are told the reason is for the support they will get to stay sober.

It would be nice if attending meetings would keep an alcoholic sober -- but, it won't. That's kind of like expecting to become a parent as a result of attending PTA meetings. It takes more than attending PTA meetings to become a parent -- just like it takes more than attending A.A. meetings for an alcoholic to not drink and stay sober.

Our book of experience and hope and precise instructions on how to stay sober (the Big Book) clearly states WHY we attend meetings. We attend meetings TO HELP OTHER ALCOHOLICS. (page 159-160, Big Book)

We provide meetings so that new people might come and bring their problems!

The fact is -- WE cannot solve their problems. But, we can solve our own problem by trying to help them solve their problem.

Sounds kind of like a kooky paradox, aye? :-)

We can't solve their problems -- but we get help solving our problems by "trying" to help them -- to solve their problems.

We get the promise of immunity from drinking by helping them to stay sober.

But, if we don't tell them the truth about WHY THEY should attend meetings -- we're leading them astray. We have got to tell them the truth and tell it to them fast so that they can stay sober, too.

They have an illness that is fatal if left untreated. We offer a Spiritual Solution to their problem. The Spiritual Solution comes about as the result of taking the 12 Steps. "Having had a Spiritual Awakening as THE result of (taking) THESE Steps" (Step 12) -- "we tried to carry this message to alcoholics," (and to practice these principles in all our affairs).

We need to tell new people the truth. The fact is -- they cannot expect or be expected to "not drink" between going to meetings -- if they are not going to meetings with the PURPOSE of attempting to help another new person. That's what works.

Slunga

Re: Best insurance for immunity from drinking

Post by Slunga » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:13 pm

YES,YES,YES!!! Nicely put.I hear so often in meetings "just don't drink and keep coming back". Usually by someone who has some time. If I could have just not drank I wouldn't have needed AA or the fellowship. Not the case though. For myself, I have always believed that new people that make it to a meeting are now 12th stepped and are looking for a solution for their drink problem. At my home group, we let them know that there is a solution and we have one if they are willing. To tell them otherwise would be doing a disservice to them and to myself as it would be a lie.Allow me to say that my home group meetings are all closed meetings.

Dallas
Site Admin

Post by Dallas » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:00 am

When I was new in A.A., when they'd say "Just don't drink" I'd ask "Can someone tell me how to do that?" :-) I couldn't find any takers to tell me how to do it so I started going to speaker meetings where they had some really good A.A. speakers that I could listen to. Speaker meetings were a sobriety saver for me. I enjoyed listening to those who talked about taking the steps, making amends, living the program of recovery outside the meetings.

jason b

Post by jason b » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:15 pm

I like to mentally reference the triangle to help maintain a balanced program. The recovery side of the triangle is reading the book doing my homework at home and meeting with my sponsor/sponsie. The unity side is going to meetings and fellowshiping with other members inside and outside of the rooms. The other 1/3 is service to others through actions not words. Giving for free and for fun expecting nothing in return. Faith without works is dead. I study the big book because I care enough about myself and others to share a personal experience then be able to apply a solution based mostly on the first 164 pages. Because of my own drinking experience I can be uniquely useful to other alcoholics. "The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join is brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism. An illness of this sort - and we have come to believe it an illness - involves those about us in a way no other human sickness can. If a person has cancer all are sorry for him and no one is angry or hurt. But not so with the alcoholic illness, for with it there goes annihilation of all the things worth while in life. It engulfs all whose lives touch the sufferer's. It brings misunderstanding, fierce resentment, financial insecurity, disgusted friends and employers, warped lives of blameless children, sad wives and parents - anyone can increase the list.

We hope this volume will inform and comfort those who are, or who may be affected. There are many."17-18.