Chapter 1 BILL'S STORY

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.
Boiled Dove

Re:

Post by Boiled Dove » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:01 pm

DiggerinVA wrote:I say be real many of us still have our lives that we are trying to live. That is spouses, jobs etc.

I totally agree. When I first came in some people gave me a lot of flack because I did not go to one or more meetings every day. "go to meeting like you drank", "do 90 in 90, I did 267 in 90", and stuff like that.

I was married, had two young kids and the only job I could get at that time was 3rd #### at an all nigh burger joint.

I went to as many meetings I I could and I was able to stay sober. There was one young woman who had gotten sober when she was in her late teens who would really harp on people that they had to go to lots of meetings every day, she was in her late 20s at the time I think.

Several years later we ended up working for the same company. Not long after that she got married and had some kids. When one kid was about 2 or 3 and the other was very young we had a conversation (that she started) about the attitude she used to give people who said they did not have time for so many meetings. She found herself in a position where it was difficult for her to get to even two a week at times. She had no idea how busy life with a family could be, especially if you are wanting to put in the effort to do it right. She now has a different perspective on such situations and has modified her actions and attitudes to match.

Sobriety has given me the gift of being able to reflect, learn, and change. That is not something I had before.

Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 1 BILL'S STORY

Post by Dallas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:10 pm

My sponsor used to remind me that "AA is to prepare me for living a life outside of AA and not for hiding from life in AA." It was just one of many valuable suggestions that he's given me. I had been spending too much time inside the rooms and not enough time outside the rooms living and applying the principles in all my affairs.