Relationships In Recovery

A discussion of topics about relationships in Recovery
Dallas
Site Admin

Post by Dallas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When counseling others -- it's wise to remember, that the way we know -- is because we've been there, and done that, too! :lol:

I understand.

And, I'm glad you mentioned that "some work and some don't". All too often, I think we give others the idea that we'll always be sick and a couple that both do the 12 Steps -- still won't work as a healthy relationship.

Happy to announce this isn't true... because we have seen them work for others... even when they haven't worked for ourselves. (Speaking strictly of myself here). :lol:

There are some healthy fish in those toxic ponds -- but, consider yourself really lucky -- if the one you fish for -- hasn't already been caught! :lol:

Either way, you can continue to try and try and try again, and again, and again -- we know of those who failed w/ their first half-dozen or dozen prospects, but they EVENTUALLY found one that was desperate enough to want what they had to offer! :lol: :lol:

chollis

Re: Relationships In Recovery

Post by chollis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Relationships in recovery are sometimes helpful and sometimes not that great. I have friends that are behind me and that believe in me. They stand behind me and keep me going. They also understand how I feel and keep my mind off everything else. I think it can be a bad thing when you get part of the relationship in recovery is that some people don't understand where you are coming from and don't support you. I am thankful for the friends and family that I have.

celebres07

Post by celebres07 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 pm

When i read the title of this thread, I thought of the recent "abandonment" I suffered through.

Actually the three or four friends I am thinking of were not friends at all. I guess I knew all along --ofr over ten years--they were not real friends to me. If I made the first move and called them, they would chat with me
but actually the friendship was always one sided. I gave dinner parties and invited them
and they never invited me to their homes

what a jerk i think i have been.
on the other hand, i am grate ful that at last I realise their potential to be a friend just isn't there.

These are people who use each other, dominate each other. Finally I get it. It just isn't in their toolkit to have honest relationships.

I am talking about women I know. Gee, I haven't even thought of finding somebody of the opposite sex in AA. I just don't want somebody with baggage and problems.
I'd rather meet somebody outside of the program.

Dallas
Site Admin

Post by Dallas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:41 pm

I understand. :-)