Eldercare

A discussion of topics about relationships in Recovery
Tim

Re: Eldercare

Post by Tim » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks, Dallas. I like the phrase your sponsor uses about "aging the hard way" . Someone told me that people as they age tend to be how they were when they were younger, only more so. This seems to be the case, especially with my dad. My mom's memory issues are primarily physiological. I also wonder if I have too many expectations about how things should be, then get frustrated when they are not that way. Changing my attitude may help me. I,too, have known people who, as they aged, kept physically fit and had minds that were sharp even into advanced old age. A friend who died at age 97 was that way. He was a sweet, thoughtful, active, mentally acute man nearly to the end.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Things are going better in caring for my parents. I've been using Dallas's suggested meditation

"I simply close my eyes and begin thinking about God. As I'm doing this, I start focusing my attention on my breathing. Taking notice of each breath as I breathe in and breathe out. Then I begin to think of God being inside each breath that I take. And, as I take the breath--I think about breathing in God."

Here is what the poet Tennyson says

"Closer is He than breathing, and nearer than hands and feet"

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:17 pm

This forum hasn't had responses for a long time, so I guess it's time to move on. Thanks and goodbye.

Dallas
Site Admin

Post by Dallas » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 am

Yep. It's kind of like in meetings. People come to be served rather than to serve. And, at some point the servers begin to wonder "what's the point?"

Slunga

Post by Slunga » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:16 pm

I didn't know if Tim was still caregiving for his folks or not. Wasn't able to reply when the site was down.My wife and I cared for my mother for ten years until her death from effects of Alzheimers. The last four of those years she didn't know who I was, but I believe somewhere in there she recognized something. I found to just going along with her and not fighting about stuff was by far the best thing to do. In the big picture, being right isn't always that important. Sounds familiar, hmmm. By doing the best we could do and looking for the best in those final years left no regrets and definitely no resentments. Hope all is well.

Dallas
Site Admin

Post by Dallas » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 am

I think Tim left us.