Gay-Straight-Men-Women etc.

Discussions related to 12 Step Sponsors, 12 Step Sponsoring, Working with others using the 12 Steps, for AA's, NA's, Al-Anons, Nar-Anons, OA, and others using the 12 Steps.
Slunga

Gay-Straight-Men-Women etc.

Post by Slunga » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 pm

I am responsible, I want the hand of AA to always be there. When someone asks to be sponsored, is it a prerequisite to look at their race, gender or sexual preference to determine if they are qualified for recovery ? How about if the person is willing to go to any lengths to get well. I am always amazed when someone asks to be sponsored and says they are unable to find someone because of their preferences. What difference does it make when a sponsors job is to take the person through the steps and make sure they understand them ? In my area,strong women sponsors are a rarity , and of course some folks don't want to sponsor, just gossip. Maybe it's because I'm getting to be an old f-rt, but if someone wants desperately to recover , I just see another drunk who needs help. If I'm worried about what others think, maybe I should look again why I'm a member of Alcoholics Anonymous and what kind of message I'm trying to carry. Thanks for letting me share.